Tilia – Rubido, 2018

Tilia - Rubido, 2018
Tilia – Rubido, 2018
Photo: Mihaela Majerhold – Ostrovršnik

It is time we return to the House of Pinot tonight, to the Tilia Estate and his unique and energetic vigneron Matjaž Lemut. But tonight’s post is about something else, about a wine that combines Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon into a characterful wine that is marked by maturation in oak.

Grapes are coming from two vineyards. First, the Merlot, which accounts for 70 % of this blend, is picked from the 10-years old vineyard of Plače breg that is planted at an altitude of 140 meters above sea level. The remaining 30 % consist of Cabernet Sauvignon from the 18 to 20 years old vineyard of Potoče and is planted at an altitude of 90 meters above sea level.

Grapes are hand-harvested at full ripeness. They are destemmed and crushed. The mash then undergoes two days of cold-maceration, followed by eight days of classical maceration with fermentation. Finally, after a gentle pressing, the wine is racked into barriques of Slavonian and French oak with approximately 10 % new ones, where it matures for 16 months. Conducting also controlled malolactic conversion.

Rubido boasts a deep, ruby red colour and a dense texture expressed by slowly slipping coloured tears.

Its aromas are intense. We regard black cherry, blueberry, black currant, a scent of violet and fern. The combination of butteriness and sweet spices reminds us of blueberry cake, and the finish offers us a hint of eucalyptus and black pepper.

The taste is intense, soft and warm. Freshness is youthful, while tannins act grippy, drying our mouth. A structured wine with an elegant and long-lasting taste.

It is a wine that will evolve for the next seven years, expressing its true nobleness, but is already a great expression now. A bottle will cost you between 18 and 20 Eur, and you can order it at Koželj, Zagriz, Solaris wines and Wine stoeckl.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.